My name is Matthew Manuel and I am living with Stage 4 Esophageal Cancer. Pictured with me is the love of my life, Angie. She is my rock and this journey would not be the same without her.
Oncologist: Chandrikha Chandrasekharan, MBBS
Treatment: 5FU Chemotherapy
On June 22nd, 2018 I was diagnosed with Stage 4 Esophageal cancer. This site is where I plan to write about my experiences with treatment and my overall health. I will use it along with Facebook to document and communicate with those who care and in the event Angie and I need help, this will be the place for notification of said requests.
More about me…
My mother, Linda. She comes with me to all my appointments and we talk nonstop about everything under the sun.
My father, Jim. Dad has been volunteering for the Vet Center for nearly 40 years. He is retired and still volunteers at the Cedar Rapids Vet Center, five days a week.
My brother and his family. From left to right: Kira (niece), Angela (sis-in-law), Craig (brother), Amara (niece)
Hobbies & Interests:
- Playing guitar and singing
- Graphic Design
- Disc Golf
I grew up in the Midwest. Spent my first ten years in and around Peoria and Chillicothe, Illinois. My family then moved us to Cedar Rapids, Iowa so my father could be closer to the Iowa City , VA hospital. We have all lived in Cedar Rapids since 1986.
I received my high school diploma from John F. Kennedy High School in 1994.
High School Accomplishments:
- Iowa High School Class 4A State Discus Champion, 1994
- Shenanigans and Tomfoolery
I received my A.A. in Computer Information Systems from the now defunct Hamilton College which was bought by Kaplan University.
I received my B.A. in Fine Art with Graphic Design from Mount Mercy University in Cedar Rapids, IA.
- Senior thesis with emphasis on intaglio printmaking.
- NAIA Academic All American
- Three time NAIA National Qualifier, indoor Weight Throw
- School records in the Weight Throw, Hammer Throw (no longer standing) and discus throw.
- One time NAIA National Qualifier in the hammer throw
- Construction jobs, mostly HVAC and fireplace/woodburner installation, 1994-2001
- Web Developer, City of Cedar Rapids Public Works Department, 2002
- Web Developer, Planet Discover (Gannett Media), 2005-2008
- Information Architect/Web Developer – Source Media (Gazzette/KCRG), 2008-2009
- Programmer Analyst, City of Cedar Rapids I.T., 2009
- Web Designer/Application Developer, United Fire Group, 2009-2013
- Senior Front End Developer, Geonetric, 2013-2019
- Graphic Design
- Web Development
- Guitar, singing